Ynet News reported that on tuesday in Quebec, the UNESCO World Heritage Committee added the Bahai shrines in Haifa to the official World Heritage Sites.
- Statistics show that 43% of Haifa’s tourists’ main reason for visiting is because of the gardens.
Money for building ($250 million/year) and maintaining ($4 million/year) the site is given solely from the Bahai people because;
- the religion refuses to accept money from non-Bahai members
- this is why there is no entrance-fee into the gardens
Other World Heritage Sites located in Israel are:
- Masada (2001)
- the Old City of Akko (Acre) (2001)
- Tel Aviv – the White City (2003)
- Biblical Tels – Megiddo, Hazor, Beer Sheva (2005)
- Incense Route – Desert Cities in the Negev (2005)